16 August 2010

Ghosts

HP8 - Snape's Vacation


They say them's ghosts
in that thurr tower.
Somewhere along the downtown
roads of San Antonio
lies the spirit of a woman,
restlessly searching for the things she once knew,
once had,
perhaps for the people she left behind,
or the things she never found.
I've never been one for ghost stories,
in fact I strongly recall
having the nerve to insist 
that no one on Bus 88
tell any ghost stories at all,
partly because I was raised in a strict Catholic home
and was often taught to fear the things I didn't understand,
and partly because I didn't need that shit
when riding the bus home from
Elementary school.
How's a kid supposed to chill out on some 
early 90's Nickelodeon programming
when there are ghosts drifting around 
his greater collective subconscious? 
At the age of 25, 
I experience ghosts in very strange ways.
Ex-girlfriends calling you at 11 AM on a Monday,
friends living new lives in far off places,
facebook stalking people you met once on tour
with your old band in some
remote area of Colorado.
None of these things really exist anymore,
and I realize that just like the 7 year old kid 
riding the bus,
I'm still scared of ghosts.
But whereas I used to be afraid of seeing them,
now the scary part is how far removed
its all become.
Hopefully I can dunk in the next life.