10 August 2010

Merykid/Trendsetting



I'm starting to feel
my influence on pop-culture
taking form.
I had a bit of an inkling
a few years back,
when a set of pictures I took in
September 2008
promoting my (at the time) most recent project,
"Boy & The Bird"    <--click this



bore a strong resemblance
to some
photos Kanye took in
November 2008
promoting his (at the time) most recent project,
"808's and Heartbreak"




And now, 
for my newest example,
here are some pictures
I took in 
December 2009 
in order to promote my upcoming release,
"The Raccoon"



Notice the "homemade superhero" aesthetic,
as if my DIY music/image 
was created to
strike 
fear in the hearts 
of chillwave(r)s everywhere!
But, in 
April of 2010,
a movie about homemade superheroes 
named
"Kick Ass"
came out, where everyone looked
like this





which, again, is cool and all,
but it leaves me
with a bit of pressure on my shoulders,
as I now realize
every promotional tool I choose
will be
extremely popular
a few months later,
and usually to the financial
benefit
of someone else.
This leaves me no choice but to sabotage pop-culture
as we know it.
If I can somehow convince whoever
is spying on me/my brain 
that whatever horrible thing I'm doing
is actually on purpose, 
maybe Justin Bieber will come onstage in a tutu 
and we can all forget the last
year of music
ever happened. 
Be on the lookout for that "new Merykid" craze any day now!